Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Sold the Challenger

The Challenger was sold yesterday.  It was very bittersweet.


There was never a question of keeping it.  I wanted to sell it fast rather than watch it sit unused.  Still, I was fighting through emotions the whole day.

I had some wonderful help with the sale.  Barry (Shirley's wonderful hubby) did all sorts of research and then put the info to use to negotiate a better price for me.  Linda and I had gone to the dealer and gotten their "top price".  We were assured that price wasn't negotiable.  Turns out the "girl price" was different from the Barry price.  A good bit different.  I have a business idea - RENT A GUY.  The company would offer imposing males to go along with single females when purchasing "guy things" like cars or lawn mowers or having "guy services" done like automobile services.  Don't those guys know that when they mess with a female, she will tell all her friends?

My wonderful brother-in-law, Carl, was my imposing male of the day in person and Barry was my imposing male on the phone.  It was pretty clear that Barry was the guy who'd have the last word on the financial end of this deal and that made the whole process much less tortuous.  Carl would have been a good negotiator as well (as would my dad) , but Barry was the one who did the research and he had already started the conversation with the dealership.  He put in several days of conversation, so that when I went in, it was a pretty fast process.  THANK YOU, BARRY!

The dealership was very nice and they definitely wanted the car.  It was pretty obvious they already had a buyer for it.  I'm thrilled about that.  I have no idea who the buyer will be, but I'm telling myself it's someone who will truly enjoy the car.  I'm also thinking that the new buyer may have an unseen rider with them from time to time.  They also may have unexplained impulses to periodically go a tad faster than they should.  They'll hear Rudy whispering in their ears, "Punch it!"

Speaking of punching it, Carl is the one who drove the Challenger over to the dealership.  He followed behind my car for most of the way, but then he had an opportunity to pass and he zipped around me in a way that would have made Rudy smile.  Carl also stopped by and got the Challenger cleaned before taking it to the dealership.  It sure did look nice.

Letting Things Go

Before Rudy got sick, I was already working towards reducing clutter and simplifying our lives.  I had read lots of motivational articles and books and had been making slow but steady progress.  I still have those dreams of living simpler, so letting go of things is probably not quite as hard as it might have been.  My dreams have been significantly altered, and I haven't even begun to figure out what to aim towards, other than just paring down to what I really need.

It's amazing how many quotes I come across
that help me deal with rough patches.
Letting go of Rudy's things is necessary, but not without sadness.  I have to push myself through each time I let go.  I'm pretty good at staying chirpy and not allowing myself to fall apart or act too sad around others.  When I'm by myself, it's not quite as easy.  Selling the Challenger yesterday was a bit rough.  My brain is happy to have one less thing to worry about.  My heart is not as practical.  The Challenger was something Rudy only had while he was sick.  Every time I saw it, I was reminded of how it helped him escape during some pretty rough times.  I am thankful it brought him so much joy.  But seeing it go was hard.  Real hard.  I need to stop thinking about it.   I want to hold onto memories of happier times.