Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chemo Postponed Again

Rudy's platelets are GREAT - 268!!!  That's a big improvement from the "10" he had just a couple of weeks ago.  Most of his numbers are great, with one exception - his white blood cell count is just under the number needed to be OK for chemo.  We'll try again next week.

White blood cells look sort of like flowers, don't you think?
White blood cells sense infections, move toward the germs, and kill them.  No specific foods or diet changes are proven to increase production of white blood cells, but we are trying to eat well in general to build his immune system.  Some days we do better than others.  I'm not known for my cooking and Rudy turns his nose up at many healthy choices. Over the last four months, my attitude has changed from "we'll eat the perfect diet and cancer won't stand a chance" to "OMG.  We're doing the best we can and we know it's not ideal."  I swear, if I won the lottery, the first thing I'd do is hire a full time cook.

Rudy is having back pain again.  He thought it was soreness from retching, but the location is the same spot he was hurting before his first chemo.  He's trying hard to avoid narcotics for the pain, but as I told them today, his pain is "ruling his day".  He hasn't been able to get comfortable at all.  On a good note, since his platelets are so high, he can take NSAIDS again.  He took Advil today and that really helped with the pain. He also has another non-narcotic pain prescription to use if the Advil doesn't do the trick.

ALSO, he'll be seeing a Radiology Oncologist Thursday.  There's a possibility he'll be a good candidate for targeted therapy.  That means they would use radiation to zap (shrink) the tumor in his back that is *possibly* hitting a nerve and causing the pain.  That sounds good to me!

Things are cranking up on the home front.  I think I've lost my mind.  I am by nature, a planner.  I admit I needlessly overplan.  These days, planning is useless.  We are surprised daily and nothing seems to go as planned anymore.  I used to be very organized, but nobody would believe that now.  I am having to learn to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants girl.  It's not easy.

Thursday and Friday, we are having our new floor installed.  The planner side of me has been screaming that this is not the time to do something major like this.  The new out-of-control me is saying, just do it and somehow or another it'll all work out.  The new out-of-control me also decided to start painting walls.  My sweet sister-in-law, Nancy, is a gungo-ho painter and she's encouraged me to just go for it. I already had most of the paint - I had bought it before Rudy got sick.   Rooms will be emptied for the floor installation so this is a great time to slap on some paint.   So, here in the midst of the most insane time of our life, we'll be doing some re-decorating.  If anyone wanted to have me declared insane, this should be all the proof necessary.  Hmmmm.... A short stay in a padded room might be nice.  I wouldn't have to cook! :-D

During all of the chaos, Rudy will spend most of the day in the barn.  For those who don't know, Rudy's barn is pretty great.  He has lazy-boys, cable TV, a telephone, a wood stove, a gas stove, and more.  It's decorated just the way he likes.  The only thing it lacks is running water.  He's looking forward to it.  He hasn't spent much time out there lately.

His sister, Linda will be going with him to see the radiologist on Thursday.  I hate missing that appointment, but Linda is great at doctors appointments.  She takes great notes and always thinks of good questions.

I'm sure I've forgotten some details from the past few days, but that's all I have the energy to write.  Now, I'm going to start cleaning out my pantry for our paint party tomorrow.