Monday, February 16, 2015

Back to CTCA

Early this morning, we went back over to CTCA.  Rudy wasn't throwing up as often, but was still nauseous and feeling like he might throw up at any moment.  Also, his stomach was hurting from the last few days of being sick. He looked pretty bad.



Today, we had a wonderful doctor who took things a little further.  Fluids for dehydration and Zofran for anti-nausea are what most start with.  What comes after those two varies.  Dr. Blake gave Rudy several things that addressed the torn up stomach.

Dr. Blake is a professor at Morehouse.  He must be one heck of a professor.  He explained the stomach issues better than anyone I've ever heard.  Best of all, he gave Rudy meds that, so far, have helped more than anything anyone has done for him during these bouts with nausea.

Two different times,  we mentioned how much we liked Dr. Blake.  Both times, with two different nurses, they lit up and agreed and then remarked with great expression that he was also incredibly smart.  He's the best kind of smart.  He can explain things in simple terms and we could tell that he truly cared.

Dr. Blake was very attentive, too.  We saw him so many times that I completely lost count.  He checked on Rudy often and discussed every single action taken.

One more surprising thing -   Rudy had lab work done both Saturday and again today.  The platelets were up in the 40's on Saturday and they were 68 today.  Hurrah!  Despite being sick, his blood is recovering!

I sure hope that's all the excitement we'll have for this week.  Rudy is sound asleep right now and I think I'm going to crash soon myself.  I'm so tired that I feel a bit goofy.  If there are typos and errors throughout this post, I hope you'll pardon me.  :-D



PS - Linda and Nancy were with us most of today.  They come to as many meetings as they can.  Today, they also picked up prescriptions and made a stop by the grocery store to pick up a few things that Rudy will be able to handle once he's ready for solid foods.  I'll never be able to thank them enough for all they have done.  ♥